The Chronicles - the photo evidence

Monday, June 26, 2006

During the week (Rimouski VI)

June 2-June 7

This particular week was not very eventful, with the exception of a visit. It'll make you understand what it's like to be here. The suburb I sorta grew up in, well the two (T-hill and R-hill, among other places), both have a bigger population (110,000 and 163,000, respectively) than Rimouski (41,549), not to mention that they are glued to Toronto. Even London (pop. 336,539), which seems like a dump to me, is bigger than here, but has about the same sized downtown. That's not to say I don't like it here, I just wouldn't ever move here for more than a summer...Dig?

Friday.
1:00 PM, I walk into Paule's office to ask for some work to do (yes I am speedy-gonalez, among the other things they call me around the office) and she is shocked. She considers it over and yells "Congé!" (my new favourite word)...roughly translated, she asks me if I want the afternoon off because she doesn't feel like working either. I discuss the situation with Kit, Paule comes to my desk and asks me if I want to go to the nursery with her to buy flowers. I say sure. We go pick out some plants for her garden, including a pumpkin plant for her daughter, Claire, and stevia, some of which we ate. Yum! Paule knew everyone at the nursery for some reason, customers and employees, alike. After we left she explained that the co-owner (family run business) is her ex-boyfriend from way back when. The rest of the people are friends from high school that are just around.

Then she took me to her house, which is at the very top of the hill at the edge of Rimouski. Her house is awesome. This is the view from her backyard. There is a farm right next door. Her husband is a mechanic, hence the cars. She's totally a country-hipster and doesn't know it.

Result: Got home at 3:00 and took a nap.

Went to Alix's for 7:00 pm to meet the Mont-Joli people. Mont-Joli is about 30 min east of here. They have an airport but a much smaller town. Earlier in the week I had randomly emailed them to invite them to Rimouski, and the result was that they were actually coming out on Friday anyway and we had just saved them a hotel.


While Mont-Joli people got ready, the Rimouski kids got drinking. Unibroue left over from last week's happy hour. In my defense, it's a Quebecois beer and I thought I'd give it a try. We call it gargoyle beer now because it tastes like gargoyles, but it just might become uni-brow beer. Who knows, it's just super gross. The blonde is anyway. [Note: blonde=light, rousse=red, dark=noire,etc.]


Hurry up, it's been like half an hour.


Happy birthday Danielle, Mont-Joli person. Her parents had given her an all right bottle of champagne..err sparkling wine for her 19th birthday, her first taste of alcohol (bahahah). They should have given her a moped instead, since they all have to hitch hike to work.


Cassandra and Danielle looking gangster or angry or something. Sad because we finished the champagne?


That's Valerie in the corner, Rania and Cassandra [& Danielle's nose]...all unsuspecting.

We headed over to Chez Pull, where Kollene and I managed to get in without paying cover.


So I convinced Kit to take a pic with me (well it was more like "let's get a picture together")...and then I just felt obligated to do that. Uhh..yeah.


Oh god Tequilla! 2 for 1 Tequilla shots! Oh no! Cheap 2 for 1 Tequilla! I smell trouble...I had something like 5, but couldn't handle anymore (= didn't want to throw the hell up). Danielle the trooper had 6 and then hit up the vodka a lot.

That's all the pics I took of the evening. Kollene and Kit headed home around 1:30 after we all just sat around for a while and danced for a bit, but nothing really exciting. It was ok, but they played songs twice and they weren't all that good, the music was what can only be described as awful. They also played some dance remix of ..ready? The holky-polky in French! And everyone was dancing to it! It was just uhh..wow. I stuck around til 3:00, to make sure that things were ok (Danielle had vanished for a while) and then walked home.

Saturday
The plan was to go to this improv music thing at Paradis and follow it up with wine and cheese.


After stopping for coffee at the GP, we began to wander over. This is the sign for the plaza, I work at the middle one on the left, see? It's real... Carrousel international du film de Rimouski.

We made our way over to Paradis to find out that the show wasn't going to start til 9:00, when we thought it started at 7:30...so we began to wander around (kill time), we didn't really know that side of town at all.



That side of town.

We went back there to find that I can't read signs and it was a discussion at 7:30 and the show was at 9:30 and we just said screw it and left...since we didn't want to pay to go see something that Alix's roommate made a face at when we mentioned it. He later told us it was a wise decision.


Wine and cheese night + Quebecois movie, I think we watched Gaz Bar Blues. It was ok. No more photos because I was busy being drunk. No one believes me when I say, 1 glass wine = drunky mcdrunkdrunk.

ANOTHER DAY

I took a picture of this for some reason. On the way to work when I was already late.

WEDNESDAY, June 7
Wine&Cheese take 2.

First we went to the thrift store to go check it out, since it has such ridiculous hours, Wednesday night was the only time we could go. They had all sorts of rad (= gross) things.


This is what was left over from Saturday night. Minus my cell.


White wine out of cups this time.


This is what we drank, I took this photo to make sure I never buy this wine again. Blech!


Everyone eating...sorry about camera case in the way.


There was just this tiny bit of cheese left and none of us wanted to eat it. Alix took one for the team, that's her preparing herself to shove down more food.


Kit brought cake.

We didn't come out of the thrift store empty handed, rather we bought two puzzles. That's right, puzzles.






Last piece.


Done! It was missing 3 pieces, though the label indicated only 2. Worst puzzle ever. Definitely worth staying out til 12:30 on a work night and losing Alix's roommate's respect. Yep.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) kudos on the sky in the first pic - really super nice

b) your expression in 'so I convinced..' deserves an oscar

c) the bear on the left looks...like it's.. old and/or stone and/or scared out of its mind

yes.. i analyze bears at work

-inna

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:43:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'really super nice' seems a bit over the top...

-me again

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:43:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a puzzle missing pieces?!!!
what's THAT all about?

Saturday, July 01, 2006 10:05:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home