The Chronicles - the photo evidence

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Photos Fjord You (Rimouski VII)

This was going to be split up into several entries, keep in mind I started with 300 photos, but I got lazy. I hope your computer doesn't crash.

Thursday, June 8:
My mom and dad flew into nearby Mont Joli and came to visit! They got here around 8:00 pm and so began the first long weekend of June (thanks Paule!). We went out to dinner and walked the streets a bit.

Friday, June 9:
Walked over to the inn/chocolaterie where my parents were staying. It was super cute and their ice cream is amazing. We went over to my office, where we got some water, etc. for the trip then over to my office where I picked up two movies, "A Boy Called Twist" (South Africa) and "Nina's Tradegies" (Israel, not kids' movie!).

The plan for the trip? Cross the St. Lawerence from Rimouski to Forestville, then drive about an hour in the direction of Quebec City to Tadoussac, Canada's oldest city. Waiting for the ferry:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's the shortest ferry across at 55 minutes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When we got to a table, we noticed these everywhere. I think you guys are exagerating, c'mon, why is there a pile of vomit bags on our table? And vomit bag stations everywhere?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Some lovely coloured pictures by children. Mine didn't make the cut.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's Rimouski from the water. It was rainy and foggy, so we couldn't get a good view.
That about does it for any coherent photos from the 1h15 ride across because remember those lovely vomit bags? We didn't have any left by the time we crossed. It was sick. They came around with cold wet cloths and my mom and I just both turned our heads and chucked like there was no tomorrow. SO GROSS! Mostly because I kept going for a while.

Anyway, back on solid ground.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We were driving towards Tadoussac, a very scenic route, the whale route, in fact.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We stopped somewhere to get a better look at scenery. The rental car and my dad getting in.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So artsy it hurts.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We got out on this little peninisula near Les Escoumins. That's the town in the valley.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was out on the peninsula. It didn't bother me too much, however. I feel sorry for the individual who painted that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tadoussac on the left.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's the map of Tadoussac. It's about the size of 3 city blocks. The weekend we picked to go there was the Festival des chansons (song festival). Every hotel was booked out, except for Hotel Tadoussac. Note: Hotel+city name = mega expensive hotel. So check it out:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 10:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our room, post-sleep. This room cost the same per night as I am paying per month back in Rimouski, not so impressive after all.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The backyard faced the bay. Still the St. Lawerence.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The board walk down to the quay to take the boat cruise, whale watching and fjord seeing!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The hotel from the edge of the quay.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We were super early and it was cold outside, so we went to wait in the cabin thing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That ladies and gentlemen, is a fjord.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Off to scout out some whales.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That was the name of the boat? While taking all these photos I was getting soaked - I was hanging outside so I wouldn't get sick again - because it was raining and the nicer view of the boat was the wetter one due to winds. The thought "good thing my camera is water proof," crossed my mind, when I realised it's not waterproof at all. CRAP. There was a busload of Argentinian tourists wearing Maid of the Mist ponchos on the boat. Shortly thereafter I went inside where the gravol kicked in...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That black thing on the table is a whale "tooth" it has 1000 of those in it's mouth and they are made from the same thing as nails. This was right after we left the fjord...that's right, I was super excited about it but I passed the fuck out! Stupid gravol. I woke up from my gravol induced coma - to hear my mom explain to two Argentianian tourists what this is...in SPANISH!

Needless to say the SLR was not in good shape after the outdoor excursion, my dad was not impressed. He had to take off the lens cap because it fogged up. Oops.

After getting back on land, we decided ot check out the dunes...dune dune dune. Sorry.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sand! Well there were dunes that were on the other side of the road but I used my dad's way better camera for that and of course my shitty camera couldn't read his card (wtf?)..anyway there were plenty of cars stuck in the sand.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bellevedère.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was the dune...see that hut at the top there?

My mom saw this sign that led to "Bellevedère" so we followed it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Walking up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oooh...nature.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
At the top. My camera died, so I don't have any more, but my dad has lots. Damnit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Uhh...downtown Tadoussac.

Sunday, June 11:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It was still raining quite a bit, so we decided we would drive around for a while and try to get a better look of the fjord. There about 50 photos that look like this and the following.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fjord! After a few false hopes, we found a road that led us down to the water at L'Anse-de-Roche.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Boardwalk...fjord in the background.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The town...we had to weave in the narrow winding roads there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Almost...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Almost...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Almost...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Not quite...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fjord! The photo really does it no justice (anyone want to buy my digi so I can get a new one?). It was magnificient. I am going to Norway to see the famous ones (not really, but I reeaaaally want to).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oohh...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ahh...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just amazing, no?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Out the car wiiiindow.

We got back to Forestville around 1:00 pm in hopes of catching an earlier ferry, but the 1:15 was cancelled and the next one was at 5:00. So we went and had lunch at a hotel, then the folks got some ice cream at the McDonald's and then we were done with Forestville, so we went to wait in line for 3 hours. My dad and I promptly fell asleep in the car while my mom read Da Vinci Code (she only has time to read on vacation).

The ride home was a lot better (i.e. no vomiting) and we went to the hotel and then dinner, a really good restaurant next to the inn. Then afterwards my folks took me grocery shopping (sweet!) and then I eventually had to kick them out so that I could finish watching "A Boy Called Twist" -one of the conditions of my free day.


Tune in next week when we get judged in Quebec City.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont know about the rest of u but i still dont really know what a fjord is..

aside from that, looks like u got crappy weather every step of the way! :-s

-inna

Saturday, July 08, 2006 4:53:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah - i have no clue what this fjord is ...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:21:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home